Saturday, November 27, 2010

Recipes - Raw Oatmeal

I have been eating high raw for over a year now and am loving all of the health benefits that I've seen. People often ask me if eating raw is boring. They must think its all salads all the time.
Well its not!

I thought I'd share some recipes over the next few months to give people an idea of what eating raw looks like for me. And why not start at the 'beginning' with breakfast?


I make a very yummy, VERY satisfying raw 'oatmeal' and the best part is, the recipes is totally flexible. No exacting measurements, no hardcore list of ingredients. You can vary this with items you have on hand, with a few exceptions. The staple is raw oats. Not rolled oats, but raw oat groats.

The oat groats are first ground in a coffee grinder (they really don't seem to grind well in my mini-processor). I grind into a coarse meal.
In a minichop processor, place a couple of medjool dates (remove pit first!) and a variety of nuts.
It will look something like this - coarse, crumbly.
Now the ground oatmeal goes into a bowl. Add the date and nut mixture and give it a quick stir.
Then decide what fruit to add. Part of the meal mixture goes back into the processor
and the cut up fruit goes in on top - its a tight squeeze!
Give it a good whir to blend. I like to leave some texture in there so I try to not overdo it!Sometimes I will add some raw chia seeds or cocao nibs. The cocao nibs are EXTREMELY hard but when mixed with the oatmealish dish, they soften up and are so yummy!
Cut up some fresh fruit for the top if you wish. Drizzle with agave or raw honey or maybe add a little dollop of almond butter.OR a sprinkle of raw dehydrated coconut!
This is really a fabulous raw morning treat. I have this or some variation of this a few times a week. Enjoy!

Written by Janice of Doxallo Designs.

No comments: