Saturday, November 13, 2010

Recipe: Tzatziki

So lately I've been trying different things, and I decided to try making falafel. The falafel turned out pretty good, if a tad on the burned side...I'll have to remember to not leave it in the oil for so long. But, I realized that I would need something to top it with. So I looked for a good, simple tzatziki recipe. You wouldn't believe how many there are. And I finally came upon one that was easy to prepare.

image by pinchmysalt

14oz of strained Greek Yogurt
1lb. cucumber, grated
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tbs of. fresh chopped dill or 1 tbs. dried dill
salt and pepper to taste

* Use strained yogurt to skip the overnight draining in a cheese cloth stage.* Yes, I know it's weird, but use a cheese grater. Use the smallest grate holes. And if you don't have a garlic press, you can use it with the garlic, as well.

Stir together yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl. Add dill, salt and pepper, and stir.Pour into serving bowl, and refrigerate for at least an hour before use, but preferably overnight. Goes great with falafel, gyros, and burgers.

No comments: